Monday 6 June 2016

Meet the delgation - Rebecca

I'm Rebecca Cook, Deputy International Commissioner, and I'm very excited that in less than two weeks Guides and Scouts from across Europe will be gathering in Oslofjordem, Norway. The conference programme is packed with opportunities to share ideas and shape the future of the Europe Region.

I was appointed Deputy International Commissioner in 2011 and since then have worked with a fantastic team on projects that aim to encourage and equip more UK members to travel overseas with guiding. We also build links with other WAGGGS Member Organisations to support their development and to give UK members the chance to benefit from being part of our very special worldwide movement. I was also the Lead Volunteer for Euro Hop, an event that was part of the Big Brownie Birthday in 2014.

I've been involved in guiding since I was a Brownie. I am a Brownie leader and trainer from York. I love being able to enjoy getting messy and laughing with them during our meetings. It’s also a great feeling after a long day at work to see a Brownie come running in excited to share some news or looking forward to the exciting activity planned – especially if it involves lighting fires and/or food!!
My favourite guiding trip was a trip to Bermuda with Guides back in 1999. We had the most amazing time and camped right next to the beach. We took part in some amazing activities including midnight swims and afternoon tea with the Governor!

I work full-time as the Administration Controller for Portakabin Ltd. This involves a variety of responsibilities including managing the modular fleet of buildings and supporting tender submissions. As you can imagine I use lots of transferable skills from and to guiding.

The theme for the European Conference is 'Connect, Grow, Impact'. As we finalise our plans, the UK delegation is focusing on part one. I look forward very much to being there soon and networking with over 30  countries from across Europe and although I know I won’t want to come home, I look forward to returning home inspired and full of enthusiasm to use in all my guiding roles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment