Wednesday 30 August 2017

Catherine Irwin - World Board Candidate


Catherine Irwin


Greetings WAGGGS Members!


I am Catherine Irwin, Girlguiding UK’s nominated candidate for election to the World Board.

I am currently a Guide and Ranger leader and some of the girls in my unit wanted to participate in my preparations for the election, so they have produced a short introduction interview – it’s not cinema quality, but we had a lot of fun making it!




Why I am standing for election to the World Board

The World Board has overall responsibility for the direction, governance, and control of WAGGGS. Board members need to have skills, experience and personal qualities needed for strategic management.

With a long professional career over 28 years, first as a Chartered Engineer, and now as a Senior Global manufacturing and technology transformation leader, as well as over 40 years as a member of Girlguiding UK and having held several senior leadership positions, I believe that I have accumulated a wealth of knowledge, skills and abilities that are aligned with the required attributes of a World Board member.

Having attended the 35th World Conference in Hong Kong, I was inspired to do some Guiding work outside my Member Organisation, so, after putting my application forward, I was invited to be a member of the WAGGGS Strategy and Planning Committee who have been responsible for preparing the 2018-2020 Strategic Plan. I have thoroughly enjoyed this experience, and learnt a lot about how WAGGGS works. This, coupled with my Guiding and professional experience, has resulted in me humbly presenting myself to you as a suitable candidate for election to the board.

If I were successful...

As an overarching commitment, I pledge that I will carry out all the duties of a Board member with passion, love, diligence and in the interest of enabling all girls and young women to develop to their fullest potential. I will support the 2018-2020 Strategic plan, and the development of the next triennium plan, and will utilise all my experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities to help give our members tools, connections, and the global voice needed to keep us thriving, united and growing.

I will use my years of experience in a Global leadership role to provide focus on enhancing collaboration both with Member Organisations, Regions and external key stakeholders, and to promote sharing of good practices between Member Organisations. I will listen to you closely and work in the interest of the World Association.

Utilizing my knowledge and experience in senior leadership of Global technology transformations, I will provide support on appropriate platforms, tools, and systems that will improve the WAGGGS Global team’s way of working, including the collection, analysis and utilization of data to understand trends and measure if we are truly on-track towards our quantified goals.

From previous marketing positions and in both professional diversity and Guiding leadership roles, I will use my skills to provide advocacy for our Vision, Mission and Goals, relevant to the needs of the day in our fast-changing society.


Please ask me any questions you many have in the comments below and looking forward to meeting you in India!


No comments:

Post a Comment